Monday 10 May 2010

Exercise 17

What: The brief of this exercise was to create a still life starting with one object, photographing it and then adding another object, working up to between six and ten photographs where there are multiple objects within the frame
Where: At home
When: In the afternoon.
How: I had been collecting bits and pieces for this exercise for a while, mainly olds and ends which I thought might be suitable. I then set out a sheet of light sensitive holographic paper on a table top, set the camera on a tripod, locked the position off and then attached a shutter release remote to the camera to allow me to fire the shutter without vibrating the camera by touching it with my hands. I experimented with a few setups of objects, but of course having two kittens in the house meant that each setup was pounced upon when ever my back was turned.

After taking the photographs I then used Photoshop to draw the implied shapes on the images and then copied them along with the originals into the blog so that the implied lines and shapes could be seen.

In the first photograph I started with the first object which I placed towards the bottom of the frame as I did not want it to dominate the centre.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 1 second ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release.

1


1 plus shapes

I quite like the implied lines from the stone as they direct the eye into the frame. It also stops the stone from feeling too isolated on its own against the background.

In the second image, I added in a simple Allen key as it was a similar colour to the stone, but being a different material it contrasts with the stone. I placed it towards the middle of the frame, the implied line between the stone and the Allen key.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.8 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

2

2 plus shapes
In the third image, the addition of an adaptor kept the implied line through the stone and the Allen Kay but added a second implied line between the stone and the adaptor. The implied lines cross just to the right of the key. This allows the eye to move between the items freely without one of the objects dominating the frame.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.6 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

3


3 plus shapes


At this point I started to realise that with the addition of other objects I would get differing shapes and interactions between the objects.

In the fourth image, I added a metal ring without too much thought. It was only after I had taken the fourth photograph that I realised that it was almost on the straight line running through the stone and the Allen Key.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.6 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

4

4 plus shapes


I started to note that there were a few other implied shapes in the frame; in this case a triangle and a circle could be drawn between the objects. I also noted that the light was reflected in a diamond shape inside the ring itself.

With the addition of a curtain hook and a small amount of adjustment of the objects, the fifth photograph was taken and again I noted that there were multiple implied lines and shapes within the still life setup.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.6 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

5

5 plus shapes


Again I noted a number of triangles, circles and straight lines as well as the occasional odd geometric shape. I could also see the intersections of some of the implied lines in sections where the rule of thirds could be applied.

I randomly added a sixth object, so that I could not influence my design into deliberate forced shapes. The sixth object being a brass screw was placed in the middle bottom of the frame.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.5 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

6

6 plus shapes

I notice that with the addition of this object that one or more of the implied lines and shapes were broken. However some of the implied lines and shapes interacted quite closely together, for example the implied line from the stone to the ring also has one side of an implied triangle shape.

With the addition of the seventh object I realised that the objects required a little reorganisation to stop them becoming too clustered and messy. With the addition of the cotton reel some of the implied geometric shapes which had been lost were re-established.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.8 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

7

7 plus shapes


Again, in the eighth photograph the objects had to be reorganised to prevent them being cluttered and lost. I decided on slight adjustments rather than a complete reorganisation.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.6 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

8

8 plus shapes

I found that this time there were more implied geometric shapes and that some of the objects were obeying the rules of thirds.

With the addition of a ninth object, I was able to note the implied circles, lines and shapes of the objects and that by moving the items around I was able to place them so that they did not look too arranged and that no one object dominated the entire frame.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.8 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

9

9 plus shapes

This time I decided to ignore some of the implied shapes so as not to clutter the diagramming of them. I noted a number of triangles and circles between the objects.

For the tenth and final photograph, I added a small bottle of nail polish in the top right hand part of the frame. Again I noted a number of implied lines, circles, triangles and geometric shapes between the objects.

Aperture f/11 Shutter Speed 0.8 seconds ISO 160 62mm (35mm equivalent 93mm) Pattern Metering Mode, Auto White Balance Tripod Mounted, Remote shutter release

10 items

10 plus shapes


I was surprised by the number of implied lines and shapes between the objects. I had not expected quite so many as I found.

This exercise has certainly taught me about implied lines and shapes within a frame. I was surprised by the number of lines and shapes that I could find in what appeared to be a random selection of objects within a still life. It is certainly something to consider next time I compose a frame, is whether there are any implied line which could affect my composition either adversely or top help improve it or help draw the eye through the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment