Wednesday 7 April 2010

Assignment 1 - the final images for submission

I have gathered together the final images for submission to Assignment 1.

I will post these below as soon as I have burned them onto CD-ROM and posted them off to my tutor.



Assignment 1

What: The brief of this exercise assignment was to identify and present to the tutor 8 pairs of images which demonstrated contrasting qualities.
Where: Various location
When: All different times of the day in differing conditions.
How: I started by review some of the images I had taken recently and then going out and shooting the required pairs as necessary.

Black

I spotted this burned piece of wood while out walking. It was sitting just above the sea line and the black burned wood stood out against everything else. I decided on a close up framing on the side which was burnt most, but still showed a little of the original colour of the wood.

White

I was looking for something which portrayed white as its’ main characteristic and quality. I finally went for a setup while the subject would wear a white wig in front of a white background. I did not want any other colour to stray into the image as it wanted it to be as white as possible.

continuous

While out walking we crossed a wooden bridge. I spotted that from a low angle that the hand rails went off into the distance unbroken. I also saw that the shadow of the handrail also lead the eye straight off into the distance. I wanted to frame this up as much as possible so that the handrails were as close to the top of the frame as possible so that it constrained the eye into following the lines off into the image.

intermittant

This was a bit of a lucky accident, as I had spotted the small black dots on the stairs on a previous visit to the museum. I wanted to capture the repetitive nature of the dots on the stairs. When I went to take the photograph I noticed that there were a number of repeating elements in the image. Teh dots, the curves in the pillar, the actual steps as they curve off, the small poles coming out of the steps and into the wall and the small circular holes repeated on the outer wall. I was pleased with this image as I was looking straight down on the steps and I find that my eye does slowly follow all the curves across and down through the image.

Dark

In this I wanted to capture the almost absence of light, for without light you cannot see that it is dark. By lighting up the bottle from below, the dark liquid disperses the light and allows the shape of the contained to be defined without it being too bright.

Light

On the opposite scale I tried to define light as being something which we all see and we sometime take for granted. The bright sky and the sun clearly define that there is light there.

Low

I sketched out a few diagrams of what I wanted low to be. At first I was attracted to the idea of defining low using an emotion, but in the end I decided to go for the definition of low as in distance and height. This was shot almost at ground level, however the camera was tilted slighty upwards to that it framed the buildings and the sky in the background.

High

Again I was tempted by the notion of emotions or substances to define high, however I was reminded of the height of buildings in the city as opposed to the towns and country where they are rarely very high. I decided to shoot from a high point with the camera as far out as possible to give an almost vertigo like feeling of distance down into the frame.

Transparent

I tried to define transparent as something that I could see through clearly. I did not want to use a simple piece of glass as I did not feel that it defined transparent clearly at the time.
I used a magnifying glass as it is transparent by it also makes things clear and understandable.

Opaque
I found that opaque was easier to define as it is a clearer definition. In this case I wanted to present something behind a piece of opaque glass to breakdown the definitions of the object and make it harder to see. In this way the viewer is able to see that the subject is both the glass and the dissipated image of the object behind the glass.

Moving

I wanted to use a moving element in this image, at first I was going to use a stationary camera and a moving object with slow shutter speeds to demonstrate that the subject was moving. However I decided on moving both the camera and the subjects at the same time, so that the both camera and subject together would create an image with more movement in it.

Still

Here the definition of still is both the camera and the subject on the bench. By having people moving past on a slow shutter speed it broke their movement down to a blur while leaving the subject and the bench as clearly defined as possible.

Sweet

I thought about how to show sweet without using sugar which could also be defined as white. I chose to use syrup being poured slowly into a glass to show that the liquid being poured was thick and “syrupy”

Sour

I wanted to show sour as both an effect and as an object. I used both the lemon and the subjects’ expression to show that the lemon was sour and that had an effect on the subject.

Few

I chose to go with few as being a small or limited number, in this case it is a few berries on the branch of a bush.

Many

I wanted to show in this image that there was many of the same element in this image. I chose to use this photograph as I feel it defines many in that there are many toothpicks in the image and that they were identical.

Straight-Diagonal

I came across this set of stairs while out photographing other subjects. I feel that the shape of the stairs are a good subject as they both go through the frame on straight lines and the steps themselves are at a diagonal to the walls and the handrails.


No comments:

Post a Comment